Saturday, May 21, 2011

How Close is TOO Close?

Even after spending a full year in the U.S., somebody had to yell "gimme some space buddy"! That is the first time, it occurred to me that "personal space" has a strong cultural connotation. I was standing in the line for the tickets to visit Statue of Liberty. The person in front of me felt that I was too close. Of course, by my standards, I was standing at reasonable distance. When I am standing in line in India, don't I try to make the line compact? So that people standing in the back can come under the roof? There are so many people and so little space - recall reservation office of a railway station or a line at a booking office in theaters. Also, a little push to the person  in front of you actually pushes the line little faster. Probably that feeling is purely psychological but still keeps you happy in those moments of uncertainty. Tickets are always sold out after I spend full 3 hours and reach to the front end!!! In this country, going too close to the person of same gender has an additional risk. Your sexual orientation can be easily misinterpreted. Well, misinterpretation of sexual orientation can come from several other cultural symbols that are commonly accepted as 'normal' behavior in Indian society (didn't we hold hands of our friends?). But hold that thought for some other time!


No comments: